Monday, July 7, 2014

I'm missing Uncle Sam - Part II

A mule at Stewart's in Saratoga Avenue in Waterford
Back in May, I wrote a post on my blog about missing those Uncle Sam statutes that had been placed around downtown Troy until they were auctioned off in an online bidding process last  December.

I loved driving through the Collar City, checking out those patriotic gentlemen as I navigated the city streets.

Since they've been gone, it seems like I can't go anywhere without running into statues in other communities. Whether it's the squirrels in Olean, the frogs in Erie, Pennsylvania or the horses and ballet slippers in Saratoga Springs, seeing them just makes me miss those Uncle Sam statues even more.

In doing a little research for the blog post, I discovered that this worldwide public art craze for over-sized fiberglass statues start in 1999 with cows in Chicago.

Well, we can add another community to the list: Waterford.

Five life-size statues have been installed throughout the town to honor the animal's contribution to the history of the canal system and the 50th anniversary of the Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center.

According to a story by Record reporter Danielle Sanzone in today's print and online editions, the mules were designed by local artists and will be auctioned off in October to benefit the museum and cultural center.

I think they're kind of cute and colorful -- but I'm still missing my Uncle Sams!

Record Chief Photographer Mike McMahon found this mule statue at the Waterford Harbor Visitors Center.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me..But I was just in Troy for a visit and they still do have some of the uncle Sam statues in down town troy. I have pictures of them.

July 19, 2014 at 7:24 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I was just in downtown troy a month ago.

July 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have any leads as to where the auctioned Uncle Sam statues went to?

April 2, 2015 at 5:58 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home